web analytics
RECRUITMENT
WE WANT YOU!
We are looking for passionate people to be part of the HUNGZAI Correspondent Team. If you think you have what it takes,
CLICK HERE NOW!
Story Categories
Army Story
Beach
Building
Camp
Cemetery
Chalet
Cinema
Festival
HDB
Hospital
Hotel
Kampong
Office
Pocong
Pontianak
School
Spiritual
Strange Incident
Toilet
Stories By Country
Australia
Brunei
Canada
China
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Japan
Korea
Malaysia
Philippines
Taiwan
Thailand
United Kingdom
United States
Vietnam
Home > Horror News > Western Horror News > Pilot Ordered To Shoot Down UFO
Pilot Ordered To Shoot Down UFO
By: RSS/News Feeds

Two U.S. fighter planes were scrambled and ordered to shoot down an unidentified flying object (UFO) over the English countryside during the Cold War, according to secret files made public on Monday.

One pilot said he was seconds away from firing 24 rockets at the object, which moved erratically and gave a radar reading like “a flying aircraft carrier.”

The pilot, Milton Torres, now 77 and living in Miami, said it spent periods motionless in the sky before reaching estimated speeds of more than 7,600 mph (12,000 kph).

After the alert, a shadowy figure told Torres he must never talk about the incident and he duly kept silent for more than 30 years.

His story was among dozens of UFO sightings in defence ministry files released at the National Archives in London.

In a written account, Torres described how he scrambled his F-86 D Sabre jet in calm weather from the Royal Air Force base at Manston, Kent in May 1957.

“The order came to fire a salvo of rockets at the UFO. The authentication was valid and I selected 24 rockets,” he said.

“I had a lock-on that had the proportions of a flying aircraft carrier,” he added. “The larger the airplane, the easier the lock-on. This blip almost locked itself.”

At the last moment, the object disappeared from the radar screen and the high-speed chase was called off.

He returned to base and was debriefed the next day by an unnamed man who “looked like a well-dressed IBM salesman.”

“He threatened me with a national security breach if I breathed a word about it to anyone,” he said.

The documents contain no official explanation for the incident, which came at a time of heightened tension between the West and the Soviet Union. Planes were on constant stand-by at British bases for a possible Soviet attack.

The files blame other UFO sightings on weather balloons, clouds or normal aircraft. Torres said he had been waiting 50 years for an explanation.

“I shall never forget it,” he told the Times. “On that night I was ordered to open fire even before I had taken off. That had never happened before.”

UFO expert David Clarke said the sighting may have been part of a secret U.S. project to create phantom aircraft on radar screens to test Soviet air defences.

“Perhaps what this pilot had seen was some kind of experiment in electronic warfare or maybe it was a UFO,” he said. “Something very unusual happened.”

The files are online at: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ufos

Similar Stories

Ghost Hunters Intrigued By Spirit At Bistro - Western Horror News
When Tim Smith opened a restaurant downtown, he didn't count on the spot coming with a side of paranormal. But the owner of PH Bistro on South Main Street reluctantly admits he and ...
Ghosts, Aliens And Us - Western Horror News
When my wife and I had our twin baby boys circumcised in our home last year, the Hasidic rabbi who performed the bris left us with a surprising parting gift: an amulet ...
South Lyon’s Ghost Hunters Search For Answers - Western Horror News
Jennifer Redfern has always been interested in the paranormal activity in South Lyon. But researching it on her own was not easy. In February she contacted Cameron Johnson, another interested local resident, and ...
National Ghost - Western Horror News
What is a ghost but a spirit or a vestige of what once was? In the case of National Ghost, however, it also refers to something that's still alive. The Detroit jam ...
Experts Unearth Srebrenica Bodies In Ghost Village - Western Horror News
Forensic experts said on Tuesday they have unearthed about 1,000 skeletal remains of Bosnian victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre in a mass grave. Documents recovered from the grave in this village dubbed ...
FEEDBACK
Found any WEBSITE ERRORS?
Let us know!
RECENT STORIES
°Negeri Sembilan Kampong
°Watch Your Mouth
°Pox
°The Bathroom
°Army Camp Duty
°Don’t Step On It
°Lady In Grey
°Previous Car Owner
°Genting Highland
°The Lonely Senior
MORE STORIES | SUBMIT STORIES
RECENT NEWS
°Ghost Stewardess Seen At Suvarnabhumi Air Crash
°SBS Bus Ghost Caught On Camera
°Tales From The Crypt In Singapore
°Ghost Hunters Intrigued By Spirit At Bistro
°Ghosts, Aliens And Us
°South Lyon’s Ghost Hunters Search For Answers
°National Ghost
°Experts Unearth Srebrenica Bodies In Ghost Village
°Women Aren’t Afraid of Ghost
°Visits From The Deceased
MORE NEWS
Top 10 Stories
°Bedok Famous Haunting
°Pulau Tekong True Fact
°Haunted Schools 1
°Rape Case
°True Ghost Story
°Red House
°Fishing Ghost Stories
°Escape Theme Park
°A School Horror
°SAF Changi Chalet
MORE TOP STORIES
Top 10 Horror News
°SBS Bus Ghost Caught On Camera
°Singapore Death Flats
°Tales From The Crypt In Singapore
°The Old Cathay Cinema Building
°Urban Legends
°Superstition In Singapore
°4-D Punters In Choa Chu Kang Cemetery
°Spirits In Malaysia Jungle
°The Himuro Mansion Haunting
°Women Aren’t Afraid of Ghost
MORE TOP NEWS
SPONSOR
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
About Us | Contact | Privacy Policy @ Hungzai.com 2013 | Singapore Web Hosting